Proving Liability and Obtaining Compensation
If the train is liable in a car-train collision, there are several parties that can be held responsible. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, these types of accidents often have multiple defendants.
Possible at-Fault Parties
- Train engineer or conductor
- Train manufacturer
- Train company
Hiring an attorney after an accident is important in obtaining fair compensation. An attorney can help determine the cause of the accident and who is responsible.
Ways a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
- Gather evidence from the accident to support your case. This may include testimony from others involved in the crash or witnesses to the accident.
- Gather photos and/or videos of the accident scene that show vehicle damage and the condition of the tracks and the weather at the time of the collision.
- Calculate the value of your case based on your injuries, medical treatments, and loss.
- Represent you in court if the case goes to trial.
- Medical bills and expenses
- Lost wages and future income earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Wrongful death expenses such as burial or funeral costs