Power of attorney.

A power of attorney allows a designated person to make medical and financial decisions for you in the event you become incapacitated. If your spouse was your agent, it’s important to update your power of attorney documents.


After your passing, your named executor manages all of your assets and takes charge of your estate—including bank accounts, business holdings, and money to beneficiaries. Most likely, if you named your ex-spouse as executor, your alternate executor (if you named one in your will) would take her place. However, it’s prudent to name a new executor and back-up executor.

Guardianship designation over minor children.

Naming a guardian over your minor children ensures that a person whom you trust will raise them in case of your death and the death of your ex-spouse.

We Are Here for You

Updating your estate plan is important to ensure that your wishes are carried out. If you have questions about wills and trusts or other aspects of estate planning, our team can help. At Kirshenbaum & Kirshenbaum, we have the experience necessary to assist you with complicated legal issues. Contact us by filling out the online contact form on our website.


Christopher L. Russo
Helping Rhode Island personal injury victims for nearly three decades to get the compensation they deserve.