According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, approximately half a million trucking accidents occur annually in the United States of which approximately 10 percent result in fatalities. To put it into perspective, about one out of every eight traffic fatalities involves a trucking collision.
Because trucks and commercial vehicles are so much larger than normal vehicles, accidents involving them can be among the most severe and most complex.
If you or a loved one is injured in a trucking accident, it's extremely important to have a Rhode Island truck accident attorney who can investigate and undertake the necessary discovery to maximize compensation and arrive at an ideal resolution. This involves a deep knowledge of the circumstances of roadway accidents as well as federal and state regulations governing federal carrier motor safety regulations. Consult with our Providence-area firm to learn more about your rights.
We Handle All Types of Truck Accidents in Providence and Beyond
Our attorneys at Kirshenbaum & Kirshenbaum are ready to provide skilled and knowledgeable counsel. For decades the firm has been representing clients in large vehicle accidents, obtaining over $1 million annually.
We're ready to represent clients involved in trucking and large vehicle accidents involving:
- Driver distraction/fatigue
- Hazardous materials
- Wrongful death
- Driver health
- Alcohol/drug use
- Improper loading
- Improper hiring/training/supervision
When these types of accidents occur, particularly if there are more than two parties involved, there may be insurance company representatives immediately working on the case. It's critical to reach out to an experienced lawyer as soon as possible so you can start making ideal decisions and taking actions to arrive at a best-possible resolution.
How Lack of Sleep Affects a Driver
These factors can affect a driver's reaction time to a significant degree:
- Lack of sleep — A study conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that going without sleep for 24 hours impairs a driver to the same extent as a .10 blood alcohol level, above the legal limit in Rhode Island.
- Time of day — People on a normal sleep schedule naturally feel drowsy between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m., and between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- How soon the driver starts driving after waking up — It can take up to an hour for a person to become fully alert after arising. Many truck drivers operate in teams — one driver operates the vehicle while the other naps in the cab's sleeping bunk. When they trade places, the new driver may not be fully awake.
- Use of medications — Taking prescription or over-the-counter medications can further impair a sleep-deprived driver.
Investigating a Fatigued-Driver Accident
With the help of an accident reconstruction professional, our lawyers will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident. Using driver logs and other sources, our investigator can identify the factors that slowed the driver's reaction time and the role they played in the accident.
Our lawyers will examine the effect that the accident has had on your life, including the medical costs you have incurred, the income you have lost and the suffering you have had to endure. Kirshenbaum & Kirshenbaum will aggressively represent you in court or in settlement negotiations, seeking full compensation for your losses.
A Cranston Truck Injury Law Firm With a Track Record of Success
One example of our successful results:
A female client was injured when a tanker truck cut in front of the sedan in which she was a passenger, causing an accident. The truck owner's insurance company tried to fight the value of our client's claim. We immediately filed suit. With the help of expert witnesses, we pressed the insurance company and demonstrated a strong case for trial. A settlement was quickly reached with the insurance company for $750,000, relieving our client's fears, and enabling her to provide for all her needs.
Call for a Free Consultation With Our Truck Accident Lawyers
If you have been the victim of a truck accident in Rhode Island, consult with our experienced lawyers by calling 888-591-9976. We are fully prepared to assist you through your issues.