In the aftermath of a car accident, you may feel overwhelmed with worry and stress about your injuries and how to pay the bills if you’re off work and without income while you’re recovering. Because you want to be compensated for your injuries, you may be tempted to contact the negligent driver’s insurance company to negotiate your settlement on your own. However, this can prove to be a big mistake and result in less compensation than you’re entitled to.
Why Hiring an Experienced Car Accident Attorney Is Important
When you hire an experienced car accident attorney, you are not alone in navigating the confusing process of filing your claim for compensation. And having an advocate can give you the time and energy you need to recover from your injuries. Here are reasons why hiring a lawyer can be beneficial:
- He understands the law. An attorney is knowledgeable about the laws and rules that apply to your car accident case, including the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit. He can file your complaint before this deadline expires and use strategies to defeat the defenses raised by the negligent driver and his insurance company.
- He can investigate your accident. An attorney will conduct a thorough investigation of your crash soon after it occurs. He can obtain the police report, quickly locate and interview witnesses, and collect the pictures, medical records, and other evidence you will need to prove your case. He can also hire experts that you may need, such as an accident reconstruction expert, to help prove the other driver’s negligence.
- He can value your claim. An attorney who has handled many car accident cases will be able to give you a realistic evaluation of the worth of your case. This will help to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve from the negligent driver’s insurance company.
- He can identify all liable parties. In some cases, there may be more than one party who can compensate you after the accident. For example, if the negligent driver’s insurance was insufficient to compensate you fully, you may be able to file a claim under your own underinsured motorist coverage. Your attorney will be able identify and pursue all avenues for compensation.
- He can negotiate your settlement. An attorney will have experience negotiating settlements in cases similar to yours. He can anticipate potential arguments from the insurance adjuster, handle them effectively, and file a lawsuit if the insurance company is being unreasonable.
Did you or a loved one suffer injuries after a car accident? The experienced legal team at Kirshenbaum & Kirshenbaum is here to answers your questions and explain your legal options. To schedule your free consultation, call our office today.