A fall in a public place can cause painful injuries, and many of these accidents are entirely preventable. Under Rhode Island premises liability laws, a negligent owner can be liable for your medical bills, time off work, and pain and suffering. However, there are vital steps you must take after the incident in order to protect your health and your right to compensation.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
To recover fair compensation for your slip and fall, you should take these actions immediately:
- Take pictures of the scene. It is important to take clear pictures of the conditions that caused your accident. Be sure to get photos from several angles, showing the full scope of the scene of your fall. For example, if a puddle of water in a grocery store caused the slip, take a close-up of the puddle as well as a wider shot to show there was no caution or wet floor sign.
- Notify the owner. You are required to report injuries to the property owner or management. If you fall in a public place, an employee of the location may ask you to fill out an incident report. Keep this report brief, and include only facts such as the date, time, and location of the fall.
- Take notes. Write down the names and contact information of any witnesses at the scene who saw the fall. It is also a good idea to jot down any details about the incident that could be important later such as the type of shoes you were wearing or what you were doing when you fell.
- See a doctor. It may be tempting to just go home after falling in a public place, but failing to seek medical treatment is one of the worst mistakes you can make after a slip and fall accident. Seeking medical help allows you to get documentation (such as X-rays) of the trauma on the day it occurred and also proves that you took your health seriously.
- Consult an injury attorney. If you were severely injured or are unable to return to work after a slip and fall accident, you should seek the advice of an experienced attorney.
If you are struggling with the physical and financial effects of a slip and fall, our attorneys can gather evidence on your behalf and help get the compensation you deserve. Contact Kirshenbaum & Kirshenbaum via our online contact form to schedule an initial consultation at no cost to you.